video thumbnail

ATL@MIA: Fernandez fires eight scoreless, fans eight

Facing the best seems to bring out the best in Jose Fernandez, who continues to rise to the occasion. In his last two starts, the right-hander combined to throw 16 scoreless innings against the Braves in a pair of wins.

Fernandez has gone 23 straight innings without allowing an earned run. In that span, he gave up a three-run homer to Jayson Werth, but those runs were unearned.

At Marlins Park, the 21-year-old is especially tough, posting a 12-0 record with a 1.00 ERA in 19 career starts. Last year, the hard-throwing right-hander beat the Dodgers twice.

"They're a good team," Fernandez said. "They obviously have a lot of good players, and they make a lot of money for some reason. They hit mistakes. I'll try to keep the ball low and follow Salty [Jarrod Saltalamacchia] and stick with the game plan, and hopefully things will come out right."

The more success Fernandez has, the more notoriety he receives.

Although he is in his second season, many wonder about his long-term future. Fernandez was asked if he would pursue free agency if he doesn't sign an extension with Miami before 2017.

"That's really far away," Fernandez said. "I think I still have got to work to stay in the big leagues and be successful. I'm taking it a day at a time, and hopefully getting good results and throwing strikes, and getting outs."

By contrast, the Dodgers are calling on spot starter Stephen Fife, who will be recalled from Triple-A Albuquerque to replace Hyun-Jin Ryu, who was placed on the disabled list Friday with left shoulder blade inflammation.

Fife will be the seventh different starting pitcher the Dodgers will use in the last seven games, as they've endured a make-up rainout, and losing Ryu.

Compounding their juggling act, the Dodgers have played eight extra-inning games in their first 31 contests, including two of the last three, and four of the last 11.

Miami: Striving to stay fresh

Miami is now five games through its stretch of 20 games in 20 days. On Saturday, catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia and left fielder Christian Yelich were among the regulars to get a day off. Part of the reason was because Los Angeles started lefty Paul Maholm, and Yelich bats left-handed.

Saltalamacchia had been going regularly behind the plate before Jeff Mathis started on Saturday night.

Manager Mike Redmond gave Saltalamacchia off on Saturday partly because he wanted him to catch Fernandez on Sunday. Both Saltalamacchia and Yelich ended up entering Saturday's game in the ninth inning.

In upcoming days, the Marlins expect to give center fielder Marcell Ozuna and right fielder Giancarlo Stanton off. Stanton could get his day on Wednesday, in the series finale with the Mets.

Dodgers: Bullpen struggles continue

Saturday night's 11-inning win further jumbled the Dodgers bullpen situation. Closer Kenley Jansen was off-limits after repeated use during April. Chris Perez was asked to protect a one-run lead, but didn't. Brian Wilson allowed a three-run homer that allowed the Marlins back in the game.

"We knew who we had available, and once Paul Maholm got through six innings, we thought we'd dodged the bullet," said manager Don Mattingly. "We knew who we had for the seventh, eighth and ninth, and felt good. One hit [Marcell Ozuna's homer] and they're back in it."

Mattingly wouldn't say who would or wouldn't be available for Sunday, but Jansen is expected to be the closer again. The Dodgers also might have the use of long reliever Jamey Wright, who has had two days to recover from the three innings he pitched in the nightcap of Thursday's doubleheader in Minnesota.

Worth noting

• The Marlins' Casey McGehee recorded his 20th RBI in his 30th game of the season. It is the second fastest that he has reached that mark in his career. He had 20 RBIs In 24 games with Milwaukee in 2010.

• Jeff Baker and Mathis each belted their first home runs of the season for the Marlins on Saturday.

MLB.com Comments