Yanks willing to listen to offers for Burnett
GM Cashman reportedly open to covering $8 million of contract
DALLAS -- The Yankees have continued to tell teams that they are willing to listen to trade offers for any player without a no-trade clause, a group that includes A.J. Burnett.
But thus far, no club has shown interest in Burnett, who is owed $33 million over the next two seasons. The New York Post reported that the Yankees are willing to pick up $8 million of Burnett's remaining salary.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that the market in Dallas has proven extremely difficult to find willing trade partners. He hedged when asked if the time spent at the Hilton Anatole has been productive thus far.
"Productive implies I feel we're going to get somewhere," Cashman said. "Right now, I feel like productive is too strong of a word. We're working, but I think it's going to be hard to add to what we have currently."
Cashman said earlier in the offseason that he would entertain the idea of shopping Burnett, who will turn 35 in February and was 11-11 with a 5.15 ERA in 33 games (32 starts) this past season.
However, the Yankees have some level of comfort in knowing they already have at least five starting pitchers in place, having re-signed both CC Sabathia and Freddy Garcia to join a group that also includes Burnett, Ivan Nova and Phil Hughes.
Burnett has a partial no-trade clause on his contract, a five-year, $82.5 million pact signed before the 2009 season. Cashman has mentioned that it would be difficult to replace Burnett's innings; he totaled 190 1/3 in '11.
"Is there necessarily truth to the report about A.J.? I can't tell you," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said on Wednesday. "But as I said, we'll always try to improve, no matter where it is -- whether it's in the bullpen, a spot in the field or if it's in our starting rotation. We'll look at every avenue."