8/11/2014 7:52 P.M. ET
Tanaka's throwing program advances to 90 feet
By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com
BALTIMORE -- Masahiro Tanaka has taken his rehab on the road, making 50 tosses at a distance of 90 feet on Monday at Camden Yards, and the Yankees right-hander is said to be pain-free.
"So far, so good," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "He's not throwing pitches, but he's at 90 feet and he let it go a little bit today."
Tanaka's next step would be to increase his throwing distance to make some tosses at 120 feet, something that Girardi said could happen as soon as Tuesday.
After that, Girardi said, "I think you start thinking about flat ground, and after that flat ground, you start thinking about a mound. I don't have a date for that."
Tanaka is aiming for a September return to the Yankees' rotation and hopes to avoid surgery to repair a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament.
Beltran could soon be ready to help in the field
BALTIMORE -- Carlos Beltran has not played the outfield since May 11, but the veteran's throwing program has advanced to the point where he could be an option for Yankees manager Joe Girardi.
"I think I could probably do it in the real near future," Girardi said.
Beltran has been limited to designated-hitter duties because of a bone spur in his right elbow, but the 37-year-old has said that he would prefer to be able to help out on defense.
The Yankees said that there was less urgency to rush Beltran back into the outfield because of their July 31 acquisition of Martin Prado from the D-backs, but Girardi is concerned about making sure that Brett Gardner and Jacoby Ellsbury are not fatigued.
"He's definitely feeling a lot better. It's something that we'll talk about pretty soon here," Girardi said.
• The Yankees selected right-hander Chris Leroux to the 25-man roster from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Monday. Following Sunday's game vs. Cleveland, the Yankees optioned right-hander Bryan Mitchell to Triple-A.
• Yankees catcher Brian McCann (concussion) "felt better" on Sunday, according to Girardi. Currently on the seven-day concussion disabled list, McCann could have another concussion test on Tuesday, and may be cleared to resume baseball activities after that.
• Monday marks Derek Jeter's 2,707th game with the Yankees, which ties the Royals' George Brett for ninth place on the all-time list of players who have played all of their games with one team. Next on the list is the Giants' Mel Ott (2,730).
• The Eastern League announced Monday that Double-A Trenton infielder Greg Bird was selected as the Eastern League Player of the Week for the period of Aug. 4 to Aug. 10. Bird hit .421 (8-for-19) with two doubles, three home runs, eight runs scored, three RBIs, four walks and a 1.000 slugging percentage in six games for the Thunder last week.
• On this date in 1929, Babe Ruth hit his 500th career home run off the Indians' Willis Hudlin at Cleveland's League Park. Also on this date in 1980, Reggie Jackson hit career homer No. 400 off Britt Burns of the White Sox.