To learn about our efforts to improve the accessibility and usability of our website, please visit our Accessibility Information page. Skip to section navigation or Skip to main content
Below is an advertisement.


Skip to main content
Below is an advertisement.
1903-1925 | 1926-1950 | 1951-1975 | 1976-2000 | 2001-Present
Timeline 1951-1975
1951  - Apr. 17: Mickey Mantle makes his Major-League debut, going 1-for-4 in a 4-0 win vs. Boston at Yankee Stadium.

Sept. 28: In Game One of doubleheader vs. Boston at Yankee Stadium, Allie Reynolds tosses his second no-hitter of the season (he had previously no-hit the Indians at Municipal Stadium in Cleveland on July 12).

Dec. 12: Joe DiMaggio officially announces his retirement.

1953  -

Apr. 17: Exactly two years after his Yankee debut, Mickey Mantle hits what is recognized as the game's first "tape-measure" home run, a 565-foot clout off the Senators' Chuck Stobbs at Washington's Griffith Stadium.

Oct. 5: The Yankees win a record fifth consecutive World Championship.

1956  - Oct. 8: Don Larsen hurls the only perfect game in World Series history, a 2-0 win over Brooklyn in Game Five at Yankee Stadium.
1961  - Oct. 1: Roger Maris hits his 61st home run in the season's final game to establish a Major-League record.
1962  - June 24: Jack Reedís two-run, 22nd-inning home run ends the longest game in Yankee history, a 9-7 win at Detroit.
1964  - Nov. 2: CBS purchases 80% of Yankees for $11,200,000. The network later buys the remaining 20%.
1969  - June 8: "Mickey Mantle Day" is celebrated at Yankee Stadium and his uniform number (7) is retired.
1972  - Aug. 8: The Yankees sign a 30-year lease to play in a remodeled Yankee Stadium to be completed in 1976.
1973  - Jan. 3: A limited partnership, headed by George M. Steinbrenner III as its managing general partner, purchases the Yankees from CBS.

Sept. 30: Ralph Houk resigns as manager.

1974  -

Apr. 6: The Yankees begin the first of two seasons at Shea Stadium, playing the first home game outside Yankee Stadium since 1922 (go 90-69 there in 1974-75).

Dec. 31: Free agent Catfish Hunter signs a then-record five-year contract.

1975  - Aug. 1: Billy Martin replaces Bill Virdon for his first of five stints as manager.
1903-1925 | 1926-1950 | 1951-1975 | 1976-2000 | 2001-Present